On the other side...

This is the story of my times and trials while living and teaching "on the other side" of the world: Taipei City, Taiwan. "True Life: The blog of an ESL teacher. You think you know but you have no idea."

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I'll try to make this post as coherent as possible... but there are no guarantees seeing as I'm writing this while being drugged to dull the pain of being sick AGAIN, this time with some bizarre cold/ fever/ allergy attack. I'm wondering if it really is an exaggeration to say I've been sick every 2 weeks or so since being here. It's all those snotty kindy kids.. I just can't say no to the kids when they want to hug and kiss you with the same little hands they are sneezing into and faces they are licking their shoes with.
There has been an extreme number of children missing from all my classes due to these cold epidemics. They made an announcement yesterday begging the sick children to stop coming to school until they are actually better. Something that is interesting is that when people here are sick or trying to prevent getting sick, they all wear face masks. I'm trying my best to fit in (and be polite and not get other people sick) so I've been trying to wear one when I can. I'll admit it's sort of hard to get used to breathing while wearing one... but I'm starting to get the hang of it and am enjoying the little of bit of privacy it gives you.. think Jackie-O sunglasses, but for the bottom of your face.


This is Paul, our new roommate and coworker. The monkeys hanging from his arms are the sons of one of our directors at school. Everyday after school they come into the office and most of us girls try our best to bribe them with stickers or candy to gain affection. Paul walks in his first day and the boys are all over him.. not fair!

I thought I'd post some pictures of something I was actually able to do outside of allll my school time and the trips to the bars that need to happen as a result. Last month we went on a teacher outing with our school outside the city in Taipei County. It was a beautiful day and we even got to spend a portion of the afternoon at a ceramics museum and ceramics village. It was the first time I ever made pottery and it was an fun as I thought it would be!





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU! Dear lord it has been way too long since we last spoke!! You're pictures make me feel oh so much better - to see you and the happenings of your life and all the birds!
I will definitely be contacting you before Christmas to catch up - I guess via e-mail. There is so much I need to hear about your life.
I hope all is well with you love!

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you because I know what you're going through. I was sick for most of the last 3 months I was in Taiwan. The winter is so humid/cold and kids really are unhygenic. Can you say bronchitis x 3?! Argggg.

Whatever happens keep in mind there's a Dr Kao in TienMu (ask on the street anywhere in that area as people know him) that will give you WESTERN doses of antibiotics. Don't let the bugs in your system get stronger with the wussy little 3 day courses that they give you in the clinics.

Stay healthy and the country will immediately look better to you. :)

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home