On the other side...

This is the story of my times and trials while living and teaching "on the other side" of the world: Taipei City, Taiwan. "True Life: The blog of an ESL teacher. You think you know but you have no idea."

Wednesday, May 30, 2007


I'm embarrassed that it's taken me 2 months to finally get around to updating my blog! Not only that, but I've barely spoken to anyone from home or Montreal except for my immediate family. Here's the thing, when I try to think of really great stories to fill you in on , I find that I can barely remember anything! I suppose that's what happens when you are completely busy and (mostly) productive for the first time in your life. Either that or turning 23 in a month means my memory is shot.


As per usual, my time has been eaten up almost entirely by school. In general, this semester has been less stressful than the first. I am able to reuse some material for 2 of my new classes...but somehow this doesn't amount to much when it means 50 new names to remember, and 25 more 7th grade boys to trryyy to control. I've kept tutoring after school as well which means at least another 2 hours out of the house per evening. If I even attempt to make it to the gym, I'm only home from 10:30pm-- 7:30am when I wake up to do it all again!


Two weekends ago was particularly bad because we had to work a 2 day camp to recruit new students to the school on Saturday and Sunday. 12 days of work in a row is no joke! I made it to day 11 in fairly good spirits, but awoke on day 12 with laryngitis.. just in time to put a damper on some of my "go-out-you-survived-12-days-in-a-row" celebratory plans! This week when I was trying to keep the peace in my classes there was extra anger in my voice... " I can't yell at you! I have laryngitis [you little monsters ruined my weekend]!" which for all they know,means I too, share their love of hello kitty and gigantic beetles.


One semi-entertaining event in the past 2 months was a fashion show that Paul and I were asked to do for a university in Taipei. First, a few months back a friend of a friend of a friend had asked me to help out with his fashion project. I agreed thinking how bad could it be? Well similar to one of those nightmares in which you leave your house and only after realize you are riding the bus to school naked too late...I show up and the clothes are completely see-through!! Luckily, the nude undergarments prevented anything too scandalous from showing, but still, walking down a runway while being photographed in that state is...umm not the way you want your modelling debut to go.


So, although against my better judgement, when the friend of the friend of the friend asked if I would be interested in helping out another designer --but this time with Paul at my side--I agreed knowing it couldn't be any more traumatic than the first time. The designer's collection was supposed to be commentary on the pressure put on young people to marry in Chinese culture. The result of this was wearing black dresses made out of umbrella material and held together by knit scarves and chains. Paul and I were supposed to be a couple that had just met and were being forced into marriage with faces and lips muted with white paint. The show was ok, minus the moment when the wind blew Paul's cape wide open and came whipping into me. We were pretty sure it had scarred everyone enough that we would never be asked back again. Then, a week later I got a call from the designer saying he had made it to the competition finals and would need us again..this time for the reaally big show. Sick to my stomach, I agreed. When we showed up at the fitting, we noticed some changes had been made: this time we'd be walking down a really long runway , Paul would be with a new partner and I'd be wearing a massive wedding dress to finish off the collection. (To make matters worse we'd have to start getting ready at 8am the day after Cinquo de Mayo!! So no tequila pinata for me).



The show went pretty well, I managed not to fall and it even ended up being a lot of fun. I figure, it's something that would never have happened at home! The girls came to support us so I have a few pictures from them and the designer I've posted below. Most are from pretty far away but if you can see the big ball of black it's pretty safe to assume it's me.


Before the final show


I'm the blob in the back

Paul and the girl who replaced me


Me and Gary, the designer



Ohh, another exciting happening-- I found a fantastic restaurant and lounge called People's. When you walk to the entrance all you see is two massive metal doors with no handles. You need to put you hand inside a little rock cave thingy on the side to open them...very secret society-esque. Louise and I spent an evening in May drinking wine and eating cheese..the first time I've done that since I've been here. It made me miss Montreal and our weekly BYOW dinners.


Ok, well I hope things are going well for everyone at home or wherever you may be when you read this! A few personal props: Jer- thanks again for the amazing cds and package in the mail! Meg, hope you are feeling better and don't get too bored while you recover! Trish, congrats on graduating from high school!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry I cannot be there and PS- you looked gorgeous in your prom pictures.



Love you and miss you!



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kathleen! By this point is should be your bday over there and I hope you get to do something fun to celebrate. I love you and miss you tons. Meghan

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home